The housing stock on the West Side is diverse, ranging from single family town homes to five-bedroom detached homes with garages. Whatever you are looking for, we hope you find your dream home in one of our neighborhoods on the West Side.
*Douglas Street Townhome for Sale* 1 Home Left
Our last new construction town home is for currently available located at 720 Douglas St. in Wilmington’s West Side. This is an excellent opportunity for eligible buyers to own a brand NEW home in a convenient Little Italy location. The new homes are constructed by Cornerstone West CDC in collaboration with Mission Builders LLC. They are available to owner occupants only. For more information click here. If you are interested in purchasing one of the homes, please fill out this online form or call Jessica Hurtt (302) 658-4171 ext. 184.
Understanding the home buying process is important. You can find a good overview here.
West Side Grows Together encourages potential buyers to take a pre-purchase homeownership education course. The instructor can help you decide whether or not you are ready for homeownership and can review any credit issues.
In addition, if you want to qualify for any incentive programs like down payment and settlement assistance, you need to earn a housing counseling course completion certificate prior to entering into your sales contract. Many banks and brokers will offer incentives such as low interest rates or preferred products to each buyer with a Housing Counseling Certificate.
A list of housing counseling agencies is available here. Homeownership counseling always prepares you to purchase a home anywhere you choose, whether that is the West Side or another neighborhood.
West End Neighborhood House is a Certified Housing Counseling Agency here in the West Side. Please call (302) 658-4161 and ask to speak with a Housing Counselor to set up an appointment.
When looking for your home, you might consider using a real estate agent who knows the city’s neighborhood and has experience with urban living. Some agents with in-depth understanding of West Side neighborhoods and what they have to offer are listed below:
Pantano Real Estate, Wilmington
Patterson Schwartz, Kennett
Deborah Adams, ABR, CRS
Provest Realty Associates
Long & Foster Greenville, DE
(302) 541 8600 or (302) 425- 4900
Long & Foster, Greenville
Are you a real estate agent who would like to help connect people with the right home in the West Side? Send us an email at westsidegrows(at)gmail.com and we will add your name to the list.
Down payment and settlement assistance
Many programs exist to give you the assistance you need to buy your first home, including loans, forgivable loans, and grants for down payment and settlement costs.
- The Second Mortgage Assistance Loan (SMAL) assists income qualified borrowers in the purchase of their own home by providing down payment and closing cost assistance in the form of second mortgages. SMAL must be used in conjunction with DSHA’s Homeownership Loan. A housing counselor can help you get started on your home purchase. Contact one today!
- Your employer may offer down payment and settlement assistance. Please check with your employer for verification.
- The Advantage 3 grant program assists qualified borrowers in the purchase of their own home by providing down payment and closing costs assistance in the form of a grant equal to three percent (3%) of the first mortgage loan amount. Advantage 3 is only available from DSHA.
- FHLBank offers up to $5000 in down payment and settlement assistance through participating lenders.
The Delaware First-Time Homebuyer Tax Credit is an income tax credit designed to help make homeownership more affordable to qualified homebuyers. Homebuyers who elect to use the federal tax credit are eligible to claim a portion of the annual interest paid on their mortgage as a special tax credit.
We wish you the best of luck in becoming a homeowner!